Thursday, May 7, 2015

Elisa's Guide to Ecuador

I've seen a lot of Ecuador outside of Guaranda in the last couple of months. I absolutely love traveling here, because I feel like a tourist and a native at the same time. I get to discover new places without being completely clueless about the country I'm in. In the process of both traveling and just living here, I've picked up some valuable knowledge about how Ecuador works. I figured I might share it with all of you, so that if you ever travel here you'll know some things the guide books might not tell you and if not, you'll have a little glimpse of some lessons I've learned.

1. Pack your entire closet. You'll need it.

Ecuador is home to four very distinct regions: the coast, the mountains (locally referred to as the Sierra), the Amazon, and the Galapagos Islands. This ecological diversity makes packing for any trip a little complicated, because you have to go prepared for anything. In the Sierra, it's best to always layer up, because the weather can change from hot and sunny to freezing thunderstorm at the drop of a hat. For the coast, you'll want to wear the least amount of clothing possible. It's hot and humid, whether the sun is out or not. The climate in the Galapagos is similar to the coast in that it's hot. Bring every swimsuit you own, because once you see how clear and blue the water is, you're not going to want to get out! When it comes to the Amazon I have only thing to say: it's called the rain forest for a reason, so come prepared. Believe me, it's not so fun to end up with all wet clothes and have no way to dry them!

Also, make sure to always have an extra pair of shoes with you. A few of my friends and I made that mistake once, and so trust me when I say that hiking in muddy and wet shoes will not be the most enjoyable part of your day.

2. If you don't know, just ask.

This goes for anything from directions to hotel/restaurant/activity recommendations. Ecuadorians are always willing to help out and give their opinion! It's comforting to know that when the bus you thought was taking you to the terminal actually drops you off in the middle of an unfamiliar city, any one of the people walking on the street is more than willing to tell you what city bus to catch. Just about everyone has a brother/cousin/friend who owns a restaurant/hotel/tour company nearby and will be more than willing to point you in that direction. All of this being said, if you're asking for directions, ask a few different people and then go with the most common answer. It's probable that different people will give you different directions.

3. Ecuadorians have a different idea of what is "far away"

Ecuadorians think everything is far away. They may advise you to take the bus or a taxi to the city center, even though it's only a handful of blocks away. My advise is to ask exactly how far away something is, then ask how much a bus/taxi costs, before deciding how to proceed.

This goes for travel across the country as well. To give perspective, Ecuador is about the same size as the state of Colorado. If you're from the U.S. and have gone on any road trips, then you'll know that a 5-10 hour drive isn't that long. So, if an Ecuadorian says that getting to Cuenca will take you forever, know that it will never be as long as the two day drive to your grandparents' house in southern Texas.

4. Street food: It's either your best friend or worst enemy

Go to any city in Ecuador and you're guaranteed to be bombarded by people selling food in the streets. I've had tremendous luck with street food and haven't ever gotten sick because of it, but not everyone I know has had the same experience. Like with street food in anywhere, be mindful of what you're buying. I'd say fruits are the biggest thing to be careful around. Those fruit salads that guy is selling probably do look delicious, but you don't know how long they've been sitting out. I'd say it's better to go to the local mercado (market) and buy whole fruit there. It'll be cheaper, and you'll likely get a nicer snack anyway!

Another note on food: Make sure to check the expiration dates. We aren't very accustomed to doing that in the U.S., but here, it's a good habit to have, because it's possible that the yogurt you picked up isn't going to be good for much longer.

5. Always bring your own toilet paper, and never throw it in the toilet.

Not throwing toilet paper into the toilets is a pretty common thing in Latin America, and probably in a lot of other countries too. The sewage systems can't handle it. It can take a little getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it, I promise! It's also important to bring your own toilet paper, because most public bathrooms don't have any. Sometimes you'll have to pay to use the bathroom, in which case they'll usually give you paper, but don't always count on that.

6. Bartering is key

Going to any artisan market here will make your eyes boggle at everything you can buy. The few times I've gone, I come out thinking I've spent all of the money I have left. Surprisingly though, my shopping escapades haven't ever been as expensive as I thought. That't because I've learned to barter. Any vendor will take one look at an obvious foreigner and raise their prices. Don't fall for it! They may say the alpaca sweaters are nearly $30, but I bought both of mine for under $20. People here don't usually put up a ton of resistance when you haggle with them, so don't be afraid to ask for lower prices!

7. Do Not Forget Your Camera Charger. Ever.

I made the mistake of forgetting my camera charger on a trip once, and regretted it when my camera decided to die as soon as I turned it on. Needless to say, I got no pictures. Don't let the same thing happen to you! Always double check that you have your camera's battery charger or extra batteries. Believe me when I say that you'll want pictures of everything! You'll probably want an extra memory card too, because Ecuador is astounding and you'll want pictures of everything!

8. Try not to fall asleep on the bus!

I've always liked watching landscapes roll by from car windows, but I've completely fallen in love with it since being here. It's incredibly tempting to pass out once you get on a bus and I'm certainly guilty of doing just that, but I suggest you not do the same. There's no better way to appreciate the crazy diversity that exists in Ecuador than by watching it roll past you on your way to another city. I can't even begin to describe my awe the first time I took a bus to the coast and watched the vegetation shift from long grass and pine-like trees to full on tropical jungle (banana plantations and all!). It's spectacular to cross so many different climates in just a couple of hours! So try not to fall asleep, because I promise that the view is worth it :)


I'll be posting some pictures from my trip to the Galapagos soon, so keep an eye out for those!

Hasta luego,

Elisa








1 comment:

  1. Great information about Latin America! You have a refreshingly frank, tell-it-like-it-is, writing style.

    ReplyDelete